We wish to bring to the attention of all subscribers to MyExerciseMedicine that people with cancer in particular those that are 70 years or older are at greater risk of developing more serious problems from COVID-19. ASCO has just released about an article Coronavirus 2019: What People With Cancer Need to Know
It remains very important that your patients continue to exercise, however the risk of COVID-19 must be minimised. Many exercise clinics are continuing to operate but with specific strategies in place:
- Regular cleaning and disinfection of equipment throughout the operating hours
- Hand sanitizer available and instructions to use before and after each exercise session at a minimum
- Any patients or staff who are feeling unwell should not attend the exercise clinic but seek advice from their doctor
- No physical contact between staff or patients and maintain a distance of 1.5 metres at all times
- Avoid touching the face
- Patients or staff who have returned from international travel or have been in contact with anyone infected with COVID-19 should self-isolate for 14 days
Each exercise clinic should carefully consider whether to cease operation until such times as health authorities advise otherwise.
To facilitate ongoing exercise medicine for your patients, subscribers to MyExerciseMedicine will now have a new prescription in their MyWellness platform https://pro.mywellness.com/Prescribe/Programs
Here we provide three levels of exercise prescription, each with two resistance training and one HIIT workout. These can be repeated across the week although 48 hours recovery is required between the resistance training workouts in particular for patients of low to moderate fitness. Please feel free to modify and tailor these prescriptions as needed. The weights and some of the exercises will need modification for specific patient capacities.
PDF documents of each prescription level are also available in the clinician member section of our website https://myexercisemedicine.net/clinic-resources/prescriptions/
These can be emailed to patients or printed.
It is a difficult time for everyone in the world particularly for those already unwell with diseases such as cancer. We will keep you updated with any new information and resources.
If you have any questions or comments please contact us.